Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over & no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?

She is one of my aunts. It's been a little over a year since I signed the title over to her. I just found out that she has not yet changed the title over to her name, currently has no insurance, and as of 6 months ago does not have a license. I am concerned about how I would be connected to the situation, if she has an accident or is pulled over.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
You sound american. In UK we notify the licensing authority, and that's that. Unless you have a similar system I assume you have some documentary proof of transfer of ownership? That would be sufficient (unless as UK you are required to notify the authorities).I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
no u r notI sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
If you are in the uk, contact dvla and notify them of the change of ownership and the date you sold it to her. You could be liable for fines %26amp; have the hassle of defending speeding tickets though because you havnt notified dvla. You are not responsible for the insurance.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
you could be check with your local dmv to find out how to handle this they will be able to help you with paperwork etc to prove the car is not yours but do it know before something happens so you are coveredI sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
When you sold the car she should have singed the document, by doing that she has taken ALL responsibility's for the vehicle's future.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
If she has no license and gets pulled over, either she will go to jail, and/or the car will be towed... Whoever tows the car will contact whoever the car's registered to, and tell you, you have so many days to provide proof of insurance, and to come pay off the tow and storage fees, and come get it... If you don't they will sell it... If she wrecks it, and you have insurance on it now, you would get the money for it being totaled, but with her having no license, they won't pay... You can always go take it back, which won't be easy in person, so you'll need a sheriff or somethin'... Give her whatever she paid back... Next time you sell it, take the buyer to get the title notarized, and also get a statement notarized, implying that if the title is not registered in the buyer's name within so many days, you have the right to take it back, no refund... If they sign it, don't follow thru', then fight, take 'em to court...I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
should of got her to sign it infront of u (reg document v5) then u should of sent it off to dvla same day u sold the car i would never sell a car without the buyer signing it infront of me %26amp; also doing a sold as seen hand written reciept with date %26amp; reg no. of car onit which you both keep a copy never ever just sell a car %26amp; trust a person to register it themselves can lead to a whole load of trouble! it also breaking the law by u not notifying the dvla both of u that is.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
Do not worry, she will get done not you.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
If your a UK resident the registration document went through some changes a couple of years ago, the onus is now on the previous owner ie you to pass on the new owners details. The document is called a V5C and you the seller has to fill in the V5C with the new owners details and send the V5C off to Swansea. The new owner retains only a small green section of the V5C until the new V5C arrives which is normally within 10 working days!!

Hope this helps

ps you are not responsible for any of your relations licence problems.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
Providing you have proof of the transaction there is no problem.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
If you have proof of sale reciept it should be fine.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
It is your responsibility to inform the DVLA that yu are no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle.I sold a car but the purchaser has yet to change the title over %26amp; no insurance. Am I liable if they wreck?
I am not an expert in this area,nonetheless I would suggest you take a look here http://www.AutoInsuranceFree.info/free-auto-insurance.htm ,there are helpful tips there