Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to change my last name on my car title?

I got married, then moved to NC and now I need to register my car in NC. However, before I can do this the DMV said I need to change my last name on my car title (that I don't own yet) and have Toyota send them a copy of the new title. Toyota says they don't physically create new titles and so they can't send it to the DMV. I'm so confused! I feel like this should be easier than it has been.



Any advice?How to change my last name on my car title?
You go back to the DMV, tell them what Toyota said, and ask their advice.



It's interesting their own rules, published on the web page, say nothing about changing your name nor seeing a copy of the title if held by a lien holder.



To register a vehicle with an out-of-state title held by a recorded lienholder:



Furnish the current out-of-state registration in your name.





Complete the Title Application (MVR-1), declaring all liens, signed in the presence of a notary.





If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you must declare an odometer reading on the Title Application.





The owner will be issued a plate without having the vehicle inspected in N.C. The plate will not be eligible for renewal one year later unless the vehicle has passed a N.C. inspection.





A form MVR-57 will be issued and given to the registered owner to send to the lienholder. That form will authorize the lienholder to release the title to the DMV. Upon receipt of the out-of-state title, a North Carolina title will be issued and mailed to the lienholder.





A Declaration of Eligible Risk (MVR-615) is required.



Once you do that, if Toyota refuses to cooperate it will be on them, not you.



Unless of course you have moved from a state where you, not the lien holder, have actual possession of the title and the lien holder is merely listed as legal owner on it.How to change my last name on my car title?
Lol.... Why involve Toyota? Toyota does not issue titles, they sell cars. The DVM issues titles. I will assume that you have a loan on this car and that is why you don't have physical possession of the title.....If so, notify the bank of your new name and then notify your DVM.
  • rodents
  • microsoft web hosting
  •