Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I should receive the title to my first car in the mail soon. How do I change the name on the title?

I live in Houston, Texas. My mother's name appears on the title. What steps do I need to change the name on the title. (Detail wins the vote!)I should receive the title to my first car in the mail soon. How do I change the name on the title?
You did not mention whether there is a loan. If there is a loan, a lien will be displayed on the title, and a change of name on the title will require permission of the lender, which usually happens only when the loan is paid in full. The complexity of the few exceptions to this is beyond the scope of this forum.



If there is no loan, your mother simply needs to sign the title in the presence of a notary, and assign the title to you in the provided blank spaces on the title. You then simply go to the most convenient Motor Vehicle office with the properly notarized title in hand and pay a small transfer fee, and they will issue the new title.



Simple as that!I should receive the title to my first car in the mail soon. How do I change the name on the title?
In many states, you don't need a notary.



You would at the very least have to pay a title fee of $16.50 in my state and many states are going to tax you on the value of the car even if you say it was a gift or something.



So, if its an expensive car, it would be expensive to change over.



Then theres the insurance effect. It might be cheaper to insure in your moms name.



If there is a lien holder, you cant do it.
  • name of children
  • deal for a used laptop
  •