Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The lady at the RMV change the amount i got my car for to 1,000 dollars?

I went to the RMV in Mass.

Me: Hi and I handed the lady my title that the previous owner( father in law) wrote $1.00 for the purchased amount.

Clerk: After joking around with her co-workers shouting across the room leaving me standing there to look stupid because she didn't say hi back but then proceeded to grab my car title. She took a quick look and said with to me with an attitude..... no, no, no! Did you get this as a gift or did you buy it?

Me: what? (I don't know about these things) So I said I bought it for $1.00.

Clerk: Look we don't go by that anymore! So did you buy it or not?

Me: like four and a half years ago I gave the previous owner 1,000 dollars, but it was for him to get his car. Not for me.

Clerk: (with her attitude) did you or did you not? ( three times in a row)

Me: I don't know what you are talking about. I got it for a dollar like it says on that paper.

Clerk: ask the same thing again.

Me: I got it as a gift obviously.

She said well then you'll have to go get a booklet that says it's a gift.

Me: I am clueless at this point.

Clerk: did you get it as a gift or not?

Me: I don't know I got it for free from the owner but then a couple of years ago I gave him a 1,000 to buy it for himself. Now he wanted to give it to me, so here I am trying to register it.

Clerk: so then you bought it for 1,000 dollars?

Me: No, I don't know! I mean if by law you consider this buying the car even though it was not under my name. Then okay, I guess! I started to explain the story of how this goes and she rudely cut me off! Clerk: proceeded to change the amount on my tittle from $1.00 to $1,000 dollars. (remind you I have no clue whats going on). She rung up everything.

When she said the amount I was shocked.

Clerck: said 350.00 dollars.

Me: What! How is that?

Clerck: oh most of it went to the sales tax. It's valued at 5 percent of the blue book.

Me: (I got mad but I did not shout) wait a min. How is this possible.

Clerck: You said that you got it for 1, 000 dollars

Me: if I new this then I would have dealt with it differently. (

I felt like she did not give me time to explain to her how my story went and so she assumed that I purchased the car. But it was her fault for rushing us becasue ti was 10. min to closing time.

So I signed my check( did not want to) quickly and I had to get out of there because I was ready to go off on her. I guess I did say one or two thing but it was not to her face. I said ******* **** while signing my check. Then ******* ***** while walking away. But I spoke under my breath so she didn't here. I am sure most people would have said the same thing. Only I didn't make a huge scene out of it for the sake of respect. I called CS.

Customer Service: (on the phone) she couldn't do that to me and for me to go see the Branch Manager to tell my story.

So I guess that I am on here to ask for advice on how I would talk to the Branch Manager. I am shy and so that does not help me any. But if I have help with what I should say to the Manager then maybe I will explain the situation alittle better. Thanks. I just hate that they are suppose to being doing their jobs but instead they are in a rush to go home!The lady at the RMV change the amount i got my car for to 1,000 dollars?
You should have had your father in law fill out a gift form, then they would not make you pay the tax. The $1.00 thing was sure to get you snagged. They will look up and charge you tax on book value when they smell something fishy. Your fish was pretty rotten so to speak.The lady at the RMV change the amount i got my car for to 1,000 dollars?
You had numerous chances to say it was a gift, and failed to do so. Now you pay the taxes. You don't pay for a %26quot;gift%26quot;. You admitted paying for the car, so they charged you at market value for taxes.