Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I begin the process of owning a new car in a new state?

I recently got a new job and moved to a new state. My dad, who currently owns my car and pays the insurance, wants me to take over the car and insurance but I'm not sure what I should do first!



Things I have to do:



-Get a new driver's license (important, because it just expired a couple days ago)

-Officially change the car over to my name (I have the title)

-Get a new state license plate

-Get car insurance



I'm guessing I get a new driver's license first, seeing as it's expired AND from a different state. But I'm not sure which order I should complete the remaining three things. I feel like I'm stuck in a weird chicken/egg situation. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance :)How do I begin the process of owning a new car in a new state?
Your dad should have %26quot;gifted%26quot; the car to you before you moved so you won't have to pay sales tax on it's value to the new state.



First get a valid license. You will need that as an I.D. Since you allowed your old license to expire you may have to take the complete driving test, so don't drive to the DMV without a licensed driver with you..



Changing the title, and registering the car can be done the same day you take the drive test, and pass.



The insurance, if it will be in your name, should be last. Many companies will not write a policy if you don't have a driver license, and they will need the license plate, and VIN numbers of the car.How do I begin the process of owning a new car in a new state?
should've gotten the driver's license first,do it now.you need both the title and current tag slip (registration) take to the county seat tax/tag office they'll walk you thru the remaining steps (all there). play dumb when you go to the DMV for license ,maybe they'll let you slide with no penalty and new test procedures .