Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I have the title of my car corrected?

The last name of the co-signer in the title was incorrect. Went to the dealership that entered the information but told us that they cannot do anything to change it since the original title is with the lien holder already.



We then contacted the lien holder and informed about this error and they replied with a letter stating that we should ask the DMV here in IL for them to request the original title w/ all other requirements and be sent to them (lien holder).



But I called the DMV and they told me that an application for a corrected title should be supplied and be given to them instead. Meaning I would pay for this application. But the thing is, I DON'T HAVE THE ORIGINAL TITLE SINCE IT WAS WITH THE LIEN HOLDER.



Now I am really confused on how to correct my car title.Need help badly, thanks.How do I have the title of my car corrected?
Take your current registration to the DMV, and file an application for corrected title. They will send the corrected title to the lien holder, and give you a corrected registration. You will probably have to go with the co-registrant to present his ID, to show the DMV clerk what the changes need to be.

Good luck with the DMVHow do I have the title of my car corrected?
I got vanity plates for my m/c without updating the title information, and without the co-owner of the vehicle doing anything, and . That is a change in registraion issue. If the registration is in your name, you should be able to apply for vanity plates without the co-signer having to do anything.

Report Abuse

How do I have the title of my car corrected?
It really should not concern you that the last name of the co-signer is incorrect. It does not seem to worry the lien holder and the lien holder is the one with the financial interest in the vehicle. You could have the co-signer contact the lien holder if you feel it is necessary and see what they tell him/her. But like I said, the last name being spelled wrong does not matter. The co-signers name will not appear on the title when you receive it from the lien holder, after you pay the vehicle off. The co-signer only appears on the contract. So relax, make your payments and enjoy your vehicle.