Thursday, September 22, 2011

How to transfer my car title to my wife? [car registered in California 鈥?moving to Minnesota]?

I recently got married. I am in California, I have the Car title under my name registered in CA. I would like to transfer the tile to my Wife. I would like to transfer my vehicle檚 ownership to her. My wife used to live in Wisconsin, so her drivers license is from WI. Now, she just got a job in Minnesota, What are the steps I need to do to transfer the vehicle to her name?

1. Should my wife change her license from WI to MN before the transfer?

2. Should we transfer the vehicle in CA or MN?

3. Should we change the registration to MN before transfer or can we do it while transferring?How to transfer my car title to my wife? [car registered in California ?moving to Minnesota]?
The title is ownership; they are one and the same. Your wife can't legally change her license until she has a valid Minnesota address. I think you should wait until you have a Minnesota address because you will eventually need a Minnesota title, registration and license. It will probably be more convenient to visit the DMV and do it all at one time. The answer may depend on the time frame involved. Transferring the vehicle to her in CA and then again to Minnesota might be a bad idea. States get suspicious about multiple title transfers in a short period of time as it could look like an attempt to avoid a branded title or tax.