Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Have the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?

I have a car I sold a year ago and the guy i sold it to never changed the title or registration and now I have the state wanting money for renewing registration and taxes. Can I repossess the car and how do i do that? I have tried many ways (email,mail,phone %26amp; voicemail) to contact this person and no response what should I do? I also know the vehicle most likely isn't used because of expired plates.Have the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?
If you sold the car, how is it you still have the title? How can you expect the other guy to register it in his name without a title? If you have the title, give it to the guy like you should have in the first place. If you do not have the title and you properly signed it over to the buyer when you sold it, contact the DMV (and maybe the cops) and ask what to doHave the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?
you have the title. Has it been signed over??



if not, it's your car.





Call a lawyer for a free consultation first, but I would say yes.



Send them an Action Required notice via regestered mail return receipt requested. you have attempted to contact them, and it has been documented, and they blow you off, the car is still in your name (you could also issue a full refund check registered mail, see if they accept that, send it two or three times, with voided copies CC'd to the sec of state, for documentation )...Have the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?
Your going to have to call the local police and have them be with you to pick it up.Have the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?
DependsHave the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?
yes if the title is in ur name and u have the keys its urs u can repo itHave the title with keys and no car can I repo if owed?
That's weird, you have the title? How come the new owner doesn't have that?



I find this a little strange because usually when a car is sold, you have to sign over the title to the new owner, filling in the new owner's information and then the new owner has to turn in the title to the DMV to get a new one.



In California, it's the sellers responsibililty to turn a form or forms to the DVM to give the odometer reading, the bill of sale, and if necessary, power of attorney when a vehicle is sold. If the seller does not do this, and the new owner does not get the title transferred, the seller is still liable for that car!



Just for the liability reasons alone, it's always best to go with the buyer directly to the DMV and do all the paperwork changes in person. Better to spend some time in line and release all liability for the car rather than be worried if the buyer doesn't get the title changed.



My brother did a private party sale and didn't file the required paperwork for the seller nor did the buyer get the title changed. The buyer bought the car for his nephews visiting from out of state and they got a couple parking tickets.



The tickets were not paid and ended up against my brother because he was the owner or record. Fortunately the buyer lived just around the block, paid the fines and immediately got the title fixed.



Your particular situation is in the gray area because you hold the title but assumably you got paid for the car. I don't know about the laws where you live, but you may have broken the law for not reporting the sale and not giving the title and all the keys to the new owner.



Because the title and registration is in your name, you are responsible for paying any fees and taxes.



You might be able to enlist the police to help, but unless you're going to say the car is stolen, I don't think it's likely they'll be able to help you.