Thursday, September 22, 2011

I lost my husband's car title and registration and he just bought it! What to do?

Please help asap I am trying to sort all this out so I need clear and accurate information. My husband bought a 1969 VW Kombi bus with expired tags. I was holding on to the docs (expired registration and pink slip for change of ownership) so that when we had the money I would handle that but I somehow 'misplaced' them %26amp; now they are MIA!!! I have looked all over my house and work for them with no success. What forms do I need to get at the DMV, do I need to contact the old owner, what if I cant find him? How can I prove that I actually purchased the vehicle? My hubby is distressed and so am I. If anyone has gone thru this process and come out with a successful outcome please let me know exactly what you did. Thanks much!I lost my husband%26039;s car title and registration and he just bought it! What to do?
To irresponsible to be married!I lost my husband%26039;s car title and registration and he just bought it! What to do?
You need the old owner to either write you a new bill of sale and/or apply for another title. In my state, a title is not required on a 69 model.



If you cant get in touch with him, I would fake one. If you don't know his name, you have a big problem.



You can look into getting a bonded title or an abandoned one. neither is cheap or easy.



You wont be legally registering that car anytime soon unless you can locate the paperwork and/or the prior owner.



You cant just walk in and get the prior owners name. Thats private info. They cant give it out by law.I lost my husband%26039;s car title and registration and he just bought it! What to do?
Don't panic.



Every states DMV has a way to handle the wackiest claims. They deal with very unintelligent people.



Check the DMV sites FAQs.. under vehicles and titles. I'll bet this question is there. Tell the DMV you can't find the old owner just to save your self the hassle of hunting them down.



Here is michigan''s FAQ See number three



http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127I lost my husband%26039;s car title and registration and he just bought it! What to do?
With the VIN number you can go to DMV and get the info on the last owner.

This is often necessary when a car gets abandoned on a parking lot, and there is a need to contact the owner.



But once you have the info of the registered owner, there is no reason why you can't apply for a duplicate, with a change of address.

No one is going to match the signature carefully, because you are not trying to do anything illegal.



Then when you have the duplicate title, you can fill it out for the title transfer process.I lost my husband%26039;s car title and registration and he just bought it! What to do?
Hope you have a friend that works at a dealership that can get a lost title. Most places won't do it at the risk of it being stolen, they won't get involved.