Thursday, September 22, 2011

I lost the title to my car?

Well actually my dad convinced me to put it in the safe deposit box which is now 1000 miles away, though it might also be in his desk etc. But anyway, I am now trying to change my registration to a different state but I can't without the title. How do I get a duplicate title? They said even a fax would work.I lost the title to my car?
You don't say what country or state you 're in.

If in CA you can get a form from the DMV or AAA Auto Club for Duplicate of title. Just say it is lost. It costs $18. You also need a signed Statement of Facts form explaining what happened to the title.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm

It takes about 3-6 weeks to get a new title mailed to you.

Getting a new title issued will negate the old title.I lost the title to my car?
Get your dad to fax it to you.