Thursday, September 22, 2011

CA changing title w/o the owner?

I m trying to trade-in my car but my mom(owner) is not w. me until november. So i have to change the ownership to my name. im gonna send the pink slip to my mom and have my mom to sign them.

Can i change the ownership by mail? What's the procedure(gift, transfer, selling?) ? how much will it cost? WILL THE TRADE-IN VALUE GO DOWN since there were two owners?

Help Please =)CA changing title w/o the owner?
Laws differ in many states when it comes to selling or buying a vehicle. As far as change of ownership by mail you should be able to do it by mail. I would recommend contacting your local DMV office for information and instructions.



A title transfer from one owner to another can be listed in mutable ways. If the car was giving to you as a gift than you can list it as a gift. There will be a gift tax assessed though. Almost any way you list it there are usually taxes assessed. In the past I have always had the seller list the vehicle as a sale and put a low dollar amount on the sale price so you don't pay that much in taxes.



The procedure for a trade in is usually listed as a sale by the company you are trading the vehicle in with.



The trade in value should not be affected by mutable owners. The things that do affect the value of the trade in are condition, millage, make %26amp; model, and year of the vehicle.



As far as the cost for doing this the DMV determines this at the time of transfer. Just be aware that if the vehicle is over 4 years old you will also have to have a smog test performed before the title transfer is transferred into your name. If you have any other questions check out the DMV website, it has a lot of helpful information.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/topbuysell.htm