Thursday, September 22, 2011

I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?

I would like to know if I should continue and buy the car.

The seller told me that he can just issue the bill of sale and it would be fine. But I don't think that's gonna be FINE!!

Well, I bought it on ebay and ebay should reimburse the money even though the seller cheated on me..right?

I've done the autocheck and the title part was clean.

But my concern is the lien part.

There was lien reported on 2005.

Then there are different titles after that.



Well,

the seller tells me that he does not have the title in his hands right now because DMV took it...

Does it make sense?

Why would DMV take the title?



Here's what he said on the e-mail

%26quot;** One snag! I no longer have the title in hand! I didn't know this was going to happen but the DMV took it from me when I had the car registered. Doesn't change much other than the fact that instead of a title you will receive a bill of sale. With that you can transfer ownership and receive a new title with your name on it. I had to do this with a previous car so I don't want you to get worried. This wont change anything. I just wanted to let you know.%26quot;



Do I have a right to ask him that I would want to wait till he gets the title and send it to me before I pay him first?

How should I handle the situation here?

I need help folks!!I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
Different states have different laws concerning car titles.

You didn't say how old the car is. Some states don't issue a title for cars over 25 years old. If the car is that old or older, the DMV will keep the old title and will only issue a certificate of registration. The old title is no good any more after it is registered in the new owner's name, so the DMV always keeps the old title on file with the bill of sale and other paperwork as a record of the car changing owners. Your local DMV has all the answers you are looking for, and it is probably all available online. Google is your friend.

There are title services that can help you get a title for a small fee, which is sometimes dependant on the value of the vehicle. Google %26quot;title service%26quot;. The name Broadway Title Service comes to mind. I have used Bonds America 800-949-2299 with good results to get a bonded title. You just have to check with your local DMV to see what the procedure is for your state.

Regarding Ebay, There is a title section on the auction form. So either you overlooked that it was blank or the seller misrepresented that he has the title. In one case it's buyer beware, in the other you need to work with Ebay to resolve this issue if you have already won the auction. If you have doubts about it, don't pay. The worst that can happen is you get booted off Ebay. In that case just start a new Ebay user ID and go on. I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
If he didn't disclose this information in the contract, I would tell him that you will not pay him until you have the title and see there are no liens on the car. It is very unlikely that he owns the car free and clear since it is only 3 years old. It is against the law for him to sell the car if a bank/financer holds the title on it. In some states, the title is not released until the vehicle is paid for.I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
Do not pay him. Do not give money for this car, it all sounds very suspicious to me. Why don't you ring the NRMA or RACV or your local motoring organisation and ask someone there what you should do.



He can't sell something he doesn't have the title to.



I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
You should not buy this car without a title. The seller should have resolved this before he attempted to sell this car. Without the title you don't know if there is a lien on it or who truly owns this vehicle. Don't buy and report him to Ebay. Good luck.I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
...No %26quot;clear Title%26quot; No Sale !!!! (don't get stuck with a Legal problem that you can't get out of!!!) Buyer Beware !I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
Why would anyone buy a used car on eBay?I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
you would be stupid not to wait until he got the titleI bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
Cars are not sold by bill of sale, cars are sold by title. If the DMV took his old title, it was to change it into his name, and if it wasn't in his name he couldn't sell it. Or he is selling a stolen car and lying to you.



Either way, tell him you will only take the car and pay him for it if and when he gives you a clear title in his name signed off to you.



Frankly I wouldn't trust him at all at this point, and even if he subsequently came up with a clear title, I'd still walk away from it.I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
If he listed that fact on the listing you should not have been bidding on it. If he didn't list it and he told you after you won it, back out of the deal and info ebay why you are doing it. You can buy a car without a title, with a bill of sale. But even myself has a dealer has a hard time getting a lost title. And there are complications, mostly if the car had a lien. If it has a lien still on it, the lien must be satisfied. The lienholder doesn't car who pays it, but the title will go to the signer of the loan. Because he still owns it. And as a car dealer I have never heard of DMV ever taking your title away. To me it all sounds off key and I would not go thru with the deal.I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
The DMV would have only taken the title if he was registering a car from another state ...most DMV's send you a new state title in about 5 days...



It's ILLEGAL for him to sell the car with no title in every state. I've bought cars all over the east coast and NEVER heard of a bill of sale and not a title; there is a %26quot;transfer of title%26quot; form, it's usually printed on the BACK of a title - that servers a bill of sale when you go to the DMV (he and you sign it and swear to a price ect...)



He's b/s -ing you. Contact paypal, charge him with breach of contract and go to a reputible car dealer. I would absolutly NOT continue dealing with him...it's not worth possessing a stolen vehicle (sorry, that's the only reason to not have a title then sell the car on Ebay... 10:1 it's hot and he needs to get rid of it fast...carfax doesn't always get stolen car reports...)I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
He says 2 blatant false statements in his email that makes all of the difference in the world.

The sentences %26quot;Doesn't change much other than the fact that instead of a title you will receive a bill of sale.%26quot; With that you can transfer ownership and receive a new title with your name on it%26quot; is not true.

If he doesn't have a title, he doesn't have a car to sell. Plus, you are not going to be able to register the vehicle in your name without the title.



I would drop this transaction immediately. A Bill of Sale without a title won't do you any good.

Car could be stolen or still have a lien that you can't trace until it is too late.I bought a used car on ebay, and seller says no title.?
Indigo is right. He probably bought the car with an out of state title. And basically, the state took the title to check and make sure it is legal, clear and whatever, before they release that states new title in his name. Some states it only takes a week or two, others longer. But, he should have a receipt from the state to prove the has retitled it in his name.

Now the problem is in your ball park. If you are willing to wait until a title is issued in his name, and he shows you proof that he has applied for a title, that is your choice. If he has the proof, and you still decide to purchase the car, I certainly wouldn't give him the full amount until you have the title in your hands that has been signed over to you. If he doesn't have proof from the DMV that he has applied for a title, I certainly wouldn't buy the car. It could end up being a nightmare for you. And certainly not worth the hassle

He can't legally sell something he doesn't own, and technically he broke the contract or agreement or Ebay Auto guidelines. So you can cancel the sale.

Personally I would cancel the sale, because he doesn't have the actual title in his hands. But that is your call. If what he says is legit, he will be selling the car after he gets the title...and I would wait until he can prove it! You may even get a better deal if you wait!! Of course there is the possibility that some other sucker will buy the car, pay the money without the title...but at least it won't be you!!

When in doubt, don't buy!!

Good luck.