Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I get a car title transferred to me over state lines?

My dad technically owns my car due to a screw up by the dealer when I bought the car, that we just never bothered to fix. I now live in Texas (he is in NY) and I need to get the car registered here. He wants to transfer the title to me but we're not sure how to go about the process. Most answers I've found are in-state but we have to consider laws of two states. He would gift it to me so no money would change hands, just a simple title transfer.How do I get a car title transferred to me over state lines?
It's simple. Your father would endorse the vehicle's current title and you would take it to the Texas Department of Transportation along with either a bill of sale or a letter attesting that it's a gift between family members (so you can pay or avoid sales tax) and apply for a new title and registration in Texas.



It's that simple.



Best of luck. I hope this helps.